Sunday, April 16, 2023

Sixty-two years ago

I looked forward to the arrival of my daughter.  We didn't know she was a girl until she arrived.  I wasn't an experienced father but I had a background feeling that me, a wife, and some children would be a genuine family, one that I could work for, enjoy, participate in and be a grown-up citizen.


Yep, that is exactly what happened.  I grasp that we are lucky to have the good fortune to both be equipped with typical tools and substances to create a functioning human.  I sometimes read that nature has two goals in mind for animals like us: eat and reproduce.  Both are complex processes that involve many steps and some luck.  


That little creature that emerged from my wife's body turned out to be intelligent, imaginative and dutiful, quite dutiful.  Her mother once said that little girl followed the rules and if she didn't have a relevant rule, she would create one.  I understand that motivation and am much the same myself.  Of course, human behavior and choice-making can be quite complex.  In addition to drives and goals, memories and fears and habits play important parts, too.  


Over time, the little girl became a woman, a mother and a grandmother. That is a path of development that many people follow and it seems to be a good one. 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby