Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Stop the presses! It's St. Urho's Day!

Tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day.  I am not Catholic but the saint's day did get me interested in lineage and heredity and all that.  Various reports from DNA analysis tell me that I carry male markers similar to what many Irish men carry.  In high school and college, I got interested in human history and where my people came from.  That interest added to the spike of biological interest I felt when I met the woman who has put up with me for more than 60 years.  The added interest spike came from a college professor asking her if her last name was Finnish.  Finnish?  I had never met anyone who said they were Finnish or related to Finns.


In keeping with worldwide celebrations of the Finnish saint who drove all the grasshoppers out of Finland, I am posting early today just to give everyone extra time to have an extra glass of milk or reindeer juice.  Some further information on this great and holy man is available here:

https://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/2020/03/patrick-and-urho.html

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby