Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Is it time?

When I have an appointment at a certain time, I like to be there then.  But, I get eager to be going.  I know that there are usually extra steps to being ready, to getting what I want to take with me.  Sometimes, I want to do an extra errand or two on the trip and I may need the shopping list or briefcase for briefs and such.  


I have heard about books on the perception of time and on psychological time.  I have read things about time management.  I don't think I have learned anything of much value.  I do have a habit of asking what I most want to do and how I can use opportunities to achieve goals.  I dislike being overly focused on being productive, whatever that means. I started this blog to advocate a habit of meditation.  Meditation, philosophy from eastern nations and authors emphasize the value of seeing what is in front of me and appreciating beauty, wisdom, comic situations and kindness when and where they arise.  


But despite being interested in the value of being appropriately laid back, I am basically a hotbox.  Too eager, too much in a hurry, overly aware of the joy of having completed the task - all that leads to impatience, to too little appreciation of the moment and too much focus on the joy of completion, the pride in being able to check off another item.  


Maybe I am overly interested in simultaneously enjoying the present moment and focusing my attention on the next one, the upcoming moment for which I want to be fully equipped and prepared right while I continue to observe and savor the current one.  I guess I am very interested in wringing all the joy there is to be rung from Now while being super-ready for Next and New and Other.  Whatever is to become of me?


(While fooling around with time, my timing and such, I have enjoyed visiting the web site time.gov.  It is the official site of the US Bureau of Standards and gives the time in various US time zones.  I like that it gives the seconds, too.)

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby