Friday, March 25, 2022

Thinking of my story

Lynn wrote several books.  That's not surprising.  She was a school librarian for 14 years and then got her PhD in instructional media. She took a job at UW-LaCrosse as a professor of education and taught school librarianship.  Two of the books she wrote are about her own history: her ancestors, mostly Finnish, Cuban, Swedish and other bits, and her own childhood.  


The other day, I got an ad from Amazon for a journal book to be filled out by a Dad so his kids can understand his background and story.  t.ly/KmZL (short link via Firefox to that Amazon page).  Lynn set a good example and I have started a few notes about where I have lived and what I have done.  


I count 18 residences from our home when I was born to now.  It can be a little tricky to decide if I lived in a place or not.  Twice, Lynn and I led a student group for a semester abroad but I didn't include places on that trip.  We have taken 20 trips with the Elderhostel/Road Scholar organization but we still had a principal residence elsewhere.


When I think of the important events of my life, I think of a math teacher, a counselor and my mother all sending me step by step toward college where I met my wife of more than 60 years.  I think of a program that offered a scholarship in educational research that resulted in teaching at the University of Wisconsin - Steven Point for nearly 4 decades.  Technical developments like broadcast TV and the internet with its web sites have had a big influence on my path and my daily life.  


Selecting Latin for a language in 9th grade, joining the high school drum and bugle corps, wrestling in high school and college, acting the role of Captain Queeg in high school and using television and computers for distance education have all had important consequences. 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby