Sunday, March 6, 2022

Hank and Franz

When I am cooking or cleaning up the dishes, I often find that "good" music helps my mood and makes the task shorter and pleasant.  I like to be able to choose the music and I often play Mozart or Haydn.  But I like to vary the music some so sometimes I play marches, waltzes and popular music from the 1960's or more recent times.  I have a copy of The Elixir of Love (1832) sung in English and I have listened to it many times.  I enjoy the blowhard Sargeant Belcore, who admits to being extremely attractive and exciting to ladies and who "can feel their passion growing stronger" when he is around.  Equally fun is Dr. Calmarara, another blowhard who knows all about the sciences and sells a powerful elixir guaranteed to make your chosen fall in love with you.  


I like Strauss waltzes and Hawaiian music, especially tunes sung by Iz Kamakawiwoʻole.  But the other day, I put on a collection of Hank Williams songs.  That is a different sound and a type of music that is not to the liking of everyone living here.  I think Appalachian twang is related to traditional Irish and Scottish music and there is something about the basic logic and structure of a plaintive wish to "melt your cold, cold heart" that attracts me.  As an antidote for ear offense, I played Schubert's men's choruses singing his catchy tunes and rhythms. 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby