Thursday, March 10, 2022

Getting there

The other morning, I was vegetating on the couch, trying to motivate myself to do something or other.  I noticed that when I used my voice to say in short, clear words what needed to be done, I immediately experienced a strong desire to get up and act.  I have been interested in the internal mechanism that humans use to express themselves in speech or writing.  I realize the mechanisms for talk and for writing are clearly different in some ways, but it seems to me that brain actions to decide on words that express my thoughts and feelings are going to be involved in either type of communication.  Human language is a standout achievement of my species and all forms interest me.  


I am also interested in what might be called "mind medicine", placebos and nocebos.  Does my belief that I am going to get rid of this cold help me to get rid of it?   How can I tell if I really believe or if I am kidding myself?  Books on belief and the body such as "Cure" by Jo Marchant and "The Cure Within" by Harrington, a Harvard historian of science, are interesting examinations of the power of belief.  Somehow, I discovered Tim Grimes, who titles himself "the radical counselor" and I get his newsletter regularly.  


The other morning, I had just internally verbalized in clear words my need and desire and duty to do something or other, feeling that clear, positive energy to act, when I saw that Grimes' newsletter referred to Emile Coue (1857-1926).  I recognized the name as a pioneer of psychology, psychiatry and the power of belief.  I looked at what Grimes had written and saw a motto that Coue had encouraged patients to repeat daily, "Every day in every way, I get better".  


It happens that I somehow irritated the muscles in my back on Monday and I have been using a hot pad to help the muscles get back to normal.  Between Coue's motto and this morning's yoga, my back, my blood, my breath have me back to normal.  It helped that I have the book "Back Sense: A Revolutionary Approach to Halting the Cycle of Chronic Back Pain" by Ronald Siegel and others.  Siegel is a psychologist and I have read some of his stuff before.  The Back Sense book makes clear that all sorts of fear and other reactions are often used by the body to signal pain.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby