Friday, March 18, 2022

Devices are not me

One of my favorite features of the internet and the worldwide web is being able to visit the same site in multiple ways using multiple devices.  I don't know enough about the technical history of the web to know if sites and devices have always been aware of each other or if that is a more recent development. With a Gmail login and password, I get access to my Google Drive and I can use Google Docs to write posts on my Google Blogger blog, called "Fear, Fun and Filoz".  My nephew has a master's degree in computing so when I began avoiding using my university email and having a different email address, I copied his example and went to Gmail.  


I like the idea of a floating office that I can easily get into with a computer or a tablet or a smartphone (CTS).  It is easy and fast if I know the Universal Resource Locator, also called the web address.  I open a browser program like Firefox or Chrome or Edge or Brave or Opera or Vivaldi and type in the web address.  Bingo!  I am there.  So, to read the blog post I wrote about reading to Lynn, I put in the web address of the blog https://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/ and press return.  Then, I use the Search window to search for "reading to Lynn".  The blog posts containing that search phrase come up.  


I have many passwords and memberships.  I am used to having to sign into Amazon or Google.  I think of myself as a particular person who gets recognized for who he is by the logon and password I use.  Lately, when I use a different device to use an account, I give my logon and password and get passed in but I also get an email to notify me that someone who knows my credentials has logged in with a device the site has not experienced before.  That got me thinking.  I use the word "connected" to mean having a device (CTS) but I am realizing that these "devices" are not me and they are not human.


Besides, I can't do what I have them do, even though I hold them in my hand and use them every day.  

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby