Friday, April 23, 2021

Assisting better

Maybe you have heard of Six Degrees of Separation.  

The notion of six degrees of separation grew out of work conducted by the social psychologist Stanley Milgram in the 1960s. Milgram decided to investigate the so-called small-world problem, the hypothesis that everyone on the planet is connected by just a few intermediaries.


I read about this research.  As far as I know, the idea was I will give you an envelope with a name on it.  If you know that person on a first name basis, mail it to them.  If not, mail it to somebody you do know on a first name basis who seems to you to possibly know that addressee on a first name basis.  I don't believe that any of the addresses were outside the US.  So, I have a hunch that more than 6 intermediaries would be needed between me and the average Asian or African.  


Whether the subject is our bodies or our relations, things can get complicated.  However, I suspect we are steadily advancing in our ability to deal with complexity and longer chains of relations or of reasoning.  One of the likely developments, it seems to me, is better use of kindness, assists, gifts.  I am impressed at how complex giving can be.  I benefited from several scholarships and assistance programs, both as an undergrad and as a grad student.  


I have heard of micro loan situations where a loan or a gift of something like $200 in the right circumstance can empower a struggling family or business far out of proportion to the amount involved.  I imagine artificial intelligence creating suggestions of the application of funds or goods or encouragement in a time, a form and a place that creates long-reaching good in new, cleaner ways.  Maybe like seasoning, where a small amount of salt or spice modifies a dish mightily. I guess a gift needs to come from an ok source.  I can imagine the reception of money or goods from an unknown person.  "What's the catch?"  "What's his angle?"  "What is he trying to pull?"

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=psychology+of+assisting

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby