Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Genetically female

In my work, I work with many women.  I went to an all-male public high school in Baltimore.  I was thinking of psychology but my mother suggested the teachers' college.  It was very inexpensive.  The high school was 100% male but the college was 80% female.  I have one sibling, a sister.  


I like males but I like females more.  The attraction is fundamentally sexual but on top, it is communicative and basic curiosity.  I knew about Ashley Montague's book "The Natural Superiority of Women".  In checking the publication date of that book (1953), I learned about "The Better Half: On The Genetic Superiority of Women" by Sharon Moalem, PhD, MD (2021).  He is an American geneticist. We had read an earlier book of his and as I say, I am interested in the human male/female divide.  I also found "Mom Genes: Inside the New Science of Our Ancient Maternal Instinct" by Abigail Tucker, also just out.  


I have been reading The Better Half.  I like to read on a Kindle reader where I can highlight interesting parts with my fingertip.  When I find a good comment, I like to send it to my Twitter account.  I have sent these:

Highlight (Pink) | Location 37

BIGGER. TALLER. FASTER. STRONGER. These are the words that have 

always been used to describe men.  But what if scientifically the more accurate words are frail, fragile, feeble, and vulnerable? 


Highlight (Pink) | Location 110 

As for centenarians, women's survival advantage is even more exaggerated: out of one hundred centenarians  alive today, eighty are women and only twenty are men.


Highlight (Pink) | Location 259 

Interestingly, as I was to discover, female mice can have much stronger immune systems, which could complicate the results of an experiment that's trying to cure infections equally in both sexes.


Highlight (Pink) | Location 491 

That superior cellular cooperation creates the fertile ground for a unique resilience that only women possess.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby