Thursday, April 29, 2021

Pen and paper

You may have seen articles about the value of writing, including the value of using the old hand, wrist, fingers and arm to write by hand.  By hand!  True, I am not writing this by hand.  Also, true that I can find and use software that will write the letters needed to convey words that I speak aloud.  I tried that quite a while back and I found that the software I was using misunderstood me quite often.  So, now, notes by hand and then keyboarding to get those letters down in the right order.  


We have read that research implies our older brains are struck by passing through a doorway.  It is a doorway that is often responsible for our arriving in the living room or the basement without a memory of why we went there.  So, more and more, we are writing.  We use small spiral notepads and larger spiral notebooks.  We use scrap paper in a plastic tray.  We use note piles of individual notes, with or without stinkum.


Each day I write five or so themes that occur to me for that day's blog.  Today's themes include

    Statements can be false without really qualifying as lies

    Lawns here are green and growing, lawns!

    Michael Pollan's essay on caffeine being the tool behind the modern world

    "Anything is possible", we tell children and that is to some extent true but includes all sorts of possibilities don't want


I have been trying to use Google Keep (look it up) for notes and themes.  I like to be able to open Gmail and all Google services on all of my connected devices, Apple, Android or whatever.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby