Monday, May 4, 2015

Pressing my buttons

The expression "pressed my buttons" may mean someone "got under my skin", that someone talked or did something that I took offense at, got angry.  But there are really many buttons on me and not all of them are negative.  A friend says she is interested in poetry and has been reading some aloud each day. Bingo!  I am thinking of poetry.  A friend sends a link to a copy of a great sermon delivered in a New York City church in 1922.  Bingo!  I see what I don't know about American churches and their history.


You might write that you are watering your plants, thinking that you are just reporting on an ordinary activity and you are, of course.  But I recently put up a picture of my greatgranddaughter's science experiment watering plants with soda, lemon juice and real water.  You made me think of her and other first grade scientists. You make me wonder if I would kill all our house plants by over- or under-watering, as I did with my office plants.


You can't tell what gives me a lift and what weighs me down.  When you write a comment, you are reaching out, giving me or others a little piece of your life and time.  It may seem ordinary.  It may be the sort of thing that your English prof. would have labeled trite or derivative but it may be just the little bite of delight I have been needing.  The same goes for your great aunt who never writes and that friend you made on tour.


I once was part of Amnesty International, an international organization that tries to help people imprisoned for their political beliefs. We had a presentation once on the effect of a simple letter to the imprisoning government, one written politely, explaining the author's concern for the person and the need for any civilized society to treat people fairly and justly.  The speaker outlined the effect that such a letter sometimes has, starting with the confusion as to which bureaucrat might be the one to get the letter, possibly to respond, possibly to shrug indifferently.  

You never know what effect something you write will have.  After it is written, it can have a little life of its own, doing good and achieving.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby