Saturday, May 16, 2015

Strangers and Naked Manatees

The guys at lunch told me about a book called "Naked Came a Stranger" written by a group of writers who decided to write a novel together by each writing a separate chapter and then stitching it all together.


I downloaded the book and have read a little of it.  It is not bad but not that good or arresting or gripping.  They also told me about "Naked Came the Manatee" written by a bunch of Florida writers, including Dave Barry, whose Big Trouble is one of my favorite stories.  Their idea was to also write separate chapters at the same time but to try to leave their chapter is the worst possible way for it to be inserted sensibly in the book.  


Then they told me about "Dick for a Day" by some women writers explaining what they would do if they were male and had a penis for one day.  I read about that book on Amazon and it didn't appeal to me.  Neither did "Chic for a Day", with male writers thinking of a day of being fully female.


Since "Naked Came the Manatee" is not available on Kindle, I got a used copy today on paper.  I am not surprised that the manatee came naked since I have no doubts that it is very hard to find decent clothes for a manatee.  No disrespect but manatees are more or less shape-free:

Image result for manatee Image result for manatee


Order and purposeful invention are usually better than chaos and unruly crowd efforts so I will not be surprised if the story stitched together by 13 Florida imaginative but possibly tired writers, somewhat working in competition, is not all that gripping.  I will let you know what we think when we give it a try.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby