Friday, May 8, 2015

Just showed up

Who am I to differ with thousands of years of wisdom?  I am crude, basic, undisciplined but I find that I often get a good feeling for no special reason.  The sky, my family, my life, ideas, food, wine, chocolate, books, tv, movies, music, cars, rides - there are just tons of good things flowing my way.


I am getting old and I may die.  I expect to and I try to face the fact of that expectation.  But even if I die this afternoon, things feel good right now.  I try to keep a bit of perspective, a little distance between me and what is happening.  Yet, without going overboard, it seems wise and economical to savor good things as they present themselves, whatever they are.


The meditators and the Buddhists talk about "bare attention", being aware of what is happening in the present around myself and inside me.  Mark Epstein is the psychiatrist meditator that Dan Harris ("10% Happier") found the most helpful in his exploration of meditation to increase his awareness of how he was using his attention.  I have been listening to Dr. Epstein's Sounds True program called "What the Buddha Felt", simply watching over what comes into the mind and spirit, without trying to control it, edit it, without trying to suppress anything.  This sort of advice is usually aimed at working on attitudes toward unpleasant or frightening thoughts, feelings and experiences.


I have been working a bit on bare enjoyment.  Keeping a little distance between me and unexpected happiness, trying not to scare it with any sudden lunges or hungers, just enjoying its sheen, its lovely lines, the pleasure of its visit.  I realize I don't deserve treasures but I am not dumb enough to skip over them when they come.  I realize that others could use them and I urge happy moments to take off in the direction of friends in need.  But I can't control them, I didn't make them or bring them.  Hope they show up in your area.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby