Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Rating books

When I was about 5 years old, my mother took me to the public library and I showed that I could write my name.  Meeting that standard allowed me to get my own library card.  I have been reading steadily since.  When I am not reading, I am lining up books to read when I finish the one I am reading now.


I do like to exercise.  I do my share of housework since we are both retired.  I cook some and I spend time with friends.  But there are so many interesting books that it is a constant source of attraction.


I used to use my Kindle and the Kindle app on my iPad to put comments and highlights from books I enjoyed on a computer that Amazon keeps for the collection of highlights.  Then they changed the system and I began sharing the highlight on Twitter.  Generally, I don't have anything much to say on Twitter except a highlight from a good book.


Then they changed the system again and even though I still select Twitter for my highlight, what goes on says that the comment was posted by the author of the book I am quoting.  That is not strictly true.


I think this all relates to something between Amazon and the organization or company or whatever "Goodreads" is.  It is a service that helps people find books by having others rate them.  I have spent the evening rating many of the books I have purchased from Amazon.  My hand and arm are getting tired from rating.  I have about 3000 books from Amazon and i have no idea how many I have to go.


I use a simplified system.  If I know I liked the book strongly, it gets 5 stars.  If it was good but not quite good, 4 stars.  Otherwise, no rating.  I rarely read a book I don't like.  There are too many good ones waiting to read what isn't doing me any good, any fun or any new and uplifting understanding.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby