Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Sharp!

Sharp knives are interesting.  There was a time when warfare and sharp edged weapons were very much entwined subjects.  Now, we can have very destructive warfare with the warriors sitting at monitor screens, so I gather.  Sharp knives are still part of camping and outdoor activities but they are a big deal in our kitchens.


Not long ago, Amazon Local included a deal on ceramic knives.  I had heard that chefs like such knives for their sharpness and I took the deal, which was something like three knives for $40 or so.  Since then, we have used them almost to the exclusion of any metal knives.  Lynn said since we use them so much, why not get a few more than three?  I ordered the attractive Cuisinart set that come in bright colors but I hadn't read carefully.  They had steel edges and I wanted ceramic.  I returned them the same day and ordered three Vancrown ceramic knives.


I wrote a comment on the product that those knives are like Harry Potter's magic wand.  You just point the knife at a big apple and Poof!  It is quartered.


Ceramic knives are said to cut apples and other fruit that turns brown in the air so sharply they don't turn brown or take longer to do so. We haven't noticed a big difference in that way.  Our first set stated they could be washed in the dishwasher without dulling but the second set said to wash them by hand.  I ignored that.  The worst kitchen accident we ever had was Lynn striking a very sharp food processor blade under soap suds with a fingertip. I don't want those ceramic knives involved with anyone's skin.


They are also said to be brittle and could break if dropped.  So far, we haven't dropped any.  Strong pressure sideways on a ceramic blade could probably snap it.


On our trip through the national parks, we were told that primitive people made knives from obsidian which were sharper than our steel knives.  I looked that up this morning and I guess it is true.  Obsidian is a type of volcanic glass but one commenter on a knife forum said that modern ceramic blades are as sharp.


I saw a cooking show once where some candidate chefs had to demonstrate their knife skills.  What I saw was chopping skills, quickly slicing a carrot or a zucchini .  I tend to think the focus of a kitchen is the stove but I guess nearly all cooking involves some utensils and the knife is a main one, along with forks and spoons.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby