Monday, May 18, 2015

Mailbox adventures

Image result for mailboxes


Our mailbox sits on a post by the road.  The postman or woman drives along in a special vehicle with the steering wheel and other controls on the right side of the vehicle, instead of our usual left side.  That position enables the postperson to deliver our mail from the mail truck into the mailbox without leaving the truck.  


Without trying, I have learned to distinguish the truck's engine sound from other noises around us.  I have not learned to allow for the extra extension on my riding mower when I am collecting the grass cuttings.  Spring means they can be used for mulch but that means putting the rather large and clumsy grasscatcher on the mover.  It also means that the catcher is waiting to whack our mailbox unless I stay alert.  I have lost alertness enough times that I had to replace our mailbox today.  


I wanted a plastic one that sun, rain, snow, heat and cold would not affect.  I bought a plastic one but that store didn't have the sort of pole I wanted.  The last time I put up a box, I had an arrangement where I drove a big long metal stake in the ground with a sledge hammer.  There was a wooden pole that fit over the stake.  I have never mixed concrete and I didn't want to get into that mess.  You might not be messy with it but I don't trust me.


The plastic mailbox I bought didn't fit the pole I finally located.  The pole was the convenient kind so I bought a 2nd mailbox made by the same company that made the convenient pole.  The whole thing is up now.  Hope we get some mail tomorrow.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby