Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Monetize

I don't know if you are familiar with the word "monetize" as used by Google and others.  It usually refers to the practice of writing, drawing, showing or creating something fun, exciting, interesting, etc., and then placing advertisements in, on, around or part way through the online item.  As a blog writer on Google's Blogspot service, I have been urged from time to time to monetize my blog.


Some sources say there are over one million blogs on the internet right now.  Compared to any fairly popular blog, mine has few readers.  It has been in existence for 7 years and the controls on it state that it has been viewed a total of 64,515 times.  That may sound like a lot but it boils down to about 25 people looking at the blog per day.  Not quite time for me to quit my day job yet.  If I were interested in monetizing, I would contact Microsoft, Apple, CBS, and other businesses, including local ones, and give them contact information and prices for ads that I would accept.  Then, (the idea is) they pay me and I put the ads on my blog pages.


It is true that I email my posts to about 100 readers and some of them tell me that read some of the posts.  Of course, they vary in quality, attractiveness and relevance so it seems likely that few people will read very many of them.  Throw in the deluge of other contacts everyone gets daily and the time and interest drop further.


I only write all this to review the subject in relation to this blog, the one I know best.  I do look at about 100 other blogs and I get various e-newsletters.  The blogs, the newsletters and many of the links in a Google search lead to articles of interest.  Increasingly, I click on a link and I see that I have a web page on the subject I am pursuing.  However, just as I am about to read the page, an ad pops up across the face of what I am interested in.  This morning, I was a little interested in the advertisement but as I tried to read it, another different ad sprang up in front!


When we get to the place where one ad conflicts with another, we have probably gone past the point of intelligent design.  I realize that there is quite a lot of ambition in the world, drives toward wealth and power.  But there is also such a thing as insanity.  If I were yours to command and you told me to dig a well but before I could get the spade in the ground, you countermanded your own command and told me to drop the well digging and build a tower, you might be starting on a tangent of incoherence and complete uselessness.  Whether it is monetizing or anything else, a little good manners, a little trust and an appropriate pace are always needed.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby