Thursday, November 16, 2023

Superlative suspicions

I taught tests and measurements to teachers for many years.  If you want to see the book I used to teach that, look here:

https://sites.google.com/view/kirbyvariety1/kirby-tests-and-meas-book-grading-testing-and-instructional-format


I mention that because I read today about a man who has been collecting pencils since childhood and has hopes of setting the Guinness World Record for pencil collecting.  My background and training and teaching experience make me somewhat anti-superlative.  You know that in many cases, English adjectives come in three degrees:

In bars and masculine comparatives, we are generally interested in the "Superlative" degree, in the "BEST."


Through years of experience and study, I have developed a deep suspicion of all claims to be "the Best"in anything.  Your Best date, car, dog, president, etc., etc. may well not be mine, me being so weird and all.  You can check out the info here:

This man has been collecting pencils since 1st grade
An Iowa man holds the new Guinness World Record for the largest pencil collection. Watch this video to see how many he has!

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby