Friday, November 17, 2023

Practice

I recommend again reading "Seven and a Half Lessons about Your Brain" by Lisa Barrett and "Incognito" by David Eagleman.  Much of what we want to think about will fit nicely into our normal method of thinking.   But these two books help us to recognize when a problem is too big for our brain or when it is outside the conscious brain's area.  Eagleman strikes me as more exciting but Barrett's little book actually covers more.  Her first chapter is titled "Your Brain is Not For Thinking".  The complex busy organ is actually in charge of breathing and other operations very important for staying alive.


Besides thinking, our feelings, our emotions, our history, our training and even our allegiances effect our decisions and our actions.


Just as I was finishing these two books, we revised our kitchen layout.  A handy cloth towel used to be hung from a certain drawer but we decided that the hanging cloth would be better hung on the other side of our facet. That was more than a year ago.  I still turn to the wrong side when I have wet hands that need drying. I haven't read if older brains clasp habit more firmly.  Maybe I am just stubborn.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby