Thursday, October 27, 2022

Too much mindfulness?

Sometimes, I try to use a website and immediately run into a demand to put in my username and password.  At times, that obstacle can be irritating.  As a kid, I had the impression that my grandfather was slow and deliberate, sometimes too slow and deliberate.  I have had a somewhat impulsive personality my whole life so it has seemed an improvement for me to stop and think before taking action.  However, I have had the feeling that advising myself to be aware of my thoughts and aware of my feelings can be overdone.


Whenever I have a question or interest in a subject, I like to put the question in a compact but complete form into a search engine like Google search.  I have my main browser, Firefox, set to use Duckduckgo as my default search but in a flash, I can use Google.  


My somewhat impetuous personality plus my skepticism plus my impatience combine to aim me away from too much discipline.  Most things I know about can be overdone.  For instance, I read about a Boston marathon runner who overdid hydration and died as a result.  


As I have aged, I feel that I can see more deeply into any question or issue.  My mind rapidly considers possibilities and implications.  Sometimes, I don't want to consider, ponder, notice, be aware, think more deeply, be sensitive to feelings, etc.  So, for kicks and some judgment, I put "too much mindfulness" in Google and into Duckduckgo.  I met the name Prof. Willoughby Britton again.  I have met her before.  She is one of the only names I know looking at downsides of meditation.  Prof. Britton is a psychology professor at Brown University and researches contraindications of meditative practice.  I think she has mostly found that people suffering from post traumatic troubles can experience upset from typical meditative practice.  


For me, short, sometimes very short, meditation sessions work best.  I seem to be like the former Google software engineer Chade-Meng Tan.  He writes that one deep, conscious breath can help him with his mindfulness.  He wrote that he and his little daughter sometimes meditate for two timed minutes, that is "as long as a software engineer can stand."

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby