Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Communication in modern times


I woke up this morning to my usual activities but I soon discovered that my Google account had been disabled.  According to the web pages that came up, it wasn't disabled because of anything I did but because unusual activity had been detected.  While learning of this situation, I saw indicators on my monitor that updates for the operating system were waiting to be installed.  Since the operating system is basic, I clicked here and there to get the updates installed.  It took a while but now I am fully updated.  I imagine having read this far, you could see a confidence and a brightness to the typing and the diction that shines from appropriately updated guys, huh?

After updating, I began work on the disabling.  I had to enter and re-enter my password 91 times and since it includes 91 characters each time, that is a lot of typing, every stroke of which is an invitation to strike the wrong key.  I never actually received a message that all was restored and cleared but it seems to be.  


The other day, I needed to talk to a knowledgeable person but so did many other people.  After several hours of waiting and noting and trying, I was just getting a usable connection when the phone battery died.  That happenstance, and it was a pure accident and not the result of Maritan agents, I went through procedures and processes again and succeeded.  I thought of phone, computer and obstacles to goals when I read of my friend being invited to travel abroad to talk with specific academic counterparts while their government put them in jail:

WHEN I ARRIVED, MY SABBATICAL SPRING, THE PRIME MINISTER HAD JUST DECLARED A "STATE OF EMERGENCY" AND HAD FILLED THE  STREETS WITH ARMED MEN AND HAD IMPRISONED THE. ENTIRE PHILOSOPHY FACULTY, MEN AND WOMEN WHO WERE MY FRIENDS AND WHOM I HAD COME EXPLICITLY TO SEE. MY PAPER TO THE PLENARY GATHERING OF INTERNATIONAL SCHOLARS AND PROFESSORS WAS A PARADOX....THE GOVT THAT HAD PAID MY WAY AND GIVEN ME FUNDS TO TRAVEL TO SIX UNIVERSITIES TO LECTURE ON THE PURPOSE OF PHILOSOPHY, HAD ALSO LOCKED UP MY PHILOSOPHER FRIENDS, AT AN INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE TO CELEBRATE THEIR GREATEST PHILOSOPHER AND WHICH NOW WELCOMED PHILOSOPHERS FROM AROUND THE WORLD IN THE VENUE OF  A SUPPOSEDLY FREE SOCIETY..FOR MYSELF, I WAS LECTURING IN A POLICE STATE.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby