Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Two irritants

I was just drinking my coffee when suddenly the house darkened and various devices blinked, squealed in protest.  A sudden power loss!  True it was raining but in a gentle civilized way.  One time that happened, someone had driven into an important telephone pole and the crash snapped some lines.  I don't know what happened today.


I used my phone to get a number for electricity loss and dialed.  [I write ]"dial" but there is no dial, of course.] I am not sure that I help our electricity loss by being the umpty-umpth caller, waiting impatiently thru helpful statements that repeatedly tell me I can connect to this or join that.  I guess around ten minutes later I heard a human voice that immediately asked what my address was.  I asked if the agent had information on the cause of the power loss but she didn't.   She did say that the expected time for resumption was about 10:30, about 90 minutes later.  


Secondly, I am aware that I am sloppy about "subscriptions".  That is the word used to describe an arrangement where I tell Netflix or other service or organization a credit card number and they charge my account monthly for continuing to let me into something.  Not knowing my way around a mammoth web site for the company, I thought I would get an agent to tell me the best way to find an organized list of the subscriptions I pay and the amounts of each.  I swear I had to listen to at least six statements, all perky and upbeat (and in my view, misleading on purpose) about various additional charges I could pay for things I would be ever so glad I bought.  It is true that it is stimulating for an old guy to be aroused and angered by irrelevant and intrusive messages.  I am expecting an additional charge to the service of awakening my cells and avoiding my nodding off.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby