Saturday, October 8, 2022

Both kinds

There have been times when I read that researchers have concluded that there really isn't much basic difference between men and women.  My experience said that was a bunch of hooey.  Then, this past February, I found books by Louann Brizendine MD.  We read three: The Female Brain, The Male Brain and The Upgrade.  The most helpful one, by far, for me, was The Female Brain.  She makes it clear that from menarche to menopause, the female brain gets somewhat opposite drives from hormonal baths each month.  One part drives the recipient toward motherhood but the opposite impulse comes up as the system empties, rebuilds and refreshes.  Brizendine founded a center for women's health and hormones and her third book, The Upgrade, is about the refreshing time after menopause when hormonal baths cease and the brain can settle down to its own business.


I have been a male all my life.  I am now way past the age when I am set to create a family but I am surprised at how long-lasting, subtle, steady and powerful awareness of females continues to work in me.  When a young nubile waitress serves food at our table, I am very aware of the texture of skin on her arms.  I don't compliment her on the attractiveness of her arms since I don't want to scare her or be repulsive. I want to come across as civil and friendly and grandfatherly.  I don't ask if she would allow me to suck her gorgeous teeth or admit how pleasing her voice is.


Dr. Brizendine does discuss her son and his hormonal drives but I don't recall much about the difference experiencing male hormones and female hormones. I read this to my wife and she said, "Yuck".

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby