Friday, October 28, 2022

Creeping danger

I have heard of 'replacement theory', which I think is the worry that people who don't look like me, especially those with a different colored skin, will take all the jobs and leave me with nothing.  I looked it up in Google search and read that the language and the worry can be said to stem from a French writer reacting to Algerians who kept showing up in France.  


I think some people in my country think it is time to take up similar worries and try to do something about what they think is a danger to them.  I am writing to alert people to danger from a different direction.  I was rather surprised when a student handed me the first paper I ever saw that asked "Why do we need males?"  I think it was a woman student but I am not sure.  I am confident that I received that paper years before I read about a Chinese scientist who altered the genome of some baby girls.  His action was taken, I think, on his own without conferring with others.  I read that he made a change he believed would make it impossible for those humans to ever contract HIV.  


The student wrote that humanity often suffers from male aggression and pride and that a little work in the right lab might produce a substitute for the 15 minutes we need males to keep the species going.  Why not develop a test-tube substitute for the unruly critters?


My alert comes from observations that the group that males are likely to be replaced by is the group called females.  It is clear that the f-group already has a lock on the production of people.  Then, take a look at law, military forces, wrestling, boxing or any other activity that is often considered male territory.  You will find calls of all kinds, from thoughtful quiet essays to mobs in the streets, have crept into previously male groups and activities - calls for more women.


The book by the scholar Walter J. Ong called "Fighting for Life" includes various sayings and proverbs from societies around the world.  One from China says "The female always wins because of her greater quiet."  As a professor of education, an area already containing a great portion of women, I have witnessed many occasions where women candidates for a position far outshone the few male applicants in experience and ability.


I think in many cases, virile, active, energetic men can simply not attain the level of patience, acceptance and geniality women can demonstrate every hour.  Just be alert, guys, and do your best.  Better still, do better than your best!

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby