Friday, October 14, 2022

Libby books and snow now

We are getting our first snowfall of the season.  I have put two links on the blog page

https://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/


that show the snow falling.   There isn't white on the ground since everything is too warm and melts the downfall immediately.


When I borrow ebooks using the app Libby, I come across books I would otherwise not know about.  I recently borrowed "The Lives They Left Behind" by Darby Penney and others.  It is about the discovery of suitcases left in an attic of a building that was part of a mental institution.  The building was scheduled for destruction and the suitcases attracted professional attention from historians and medical people and some museum curators.  We read some of it.


I also found "The Impossible Presidency" by Jeremi Suri.  It is about the contradictory and incessant demands and problems that pop up for the president of the US.  Just from the language and events of the buildup to an election, a person can see that the executive in power, mayor, governor, president and others, will face complicated decisions and pressures that cannot be simultaneously satisfied.  


The app Libby allows for up to ten ebooks to be borrowed for 14 days at a time.  With my habits and aims and duties, I certainly will not get 10 books read in two weeks.  But I will get a chance to taste the book and examine the table of contents.  Being far more interested in non-fiction than in fiction, I set Libby to show me what is immediately available in books that are non-fiction.  The app then has about 500 pages of available books, available at no change immediately.  If needed, I may buy the book in e-form for Amazon, depending on the price and the likelihood that I will read it.  Often the book is available in a used paper copy at a much cheaper price. 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby