Saturday, June 25, 2022

Using Firefox's Pocket service

I regularly use the Firefox browser. One of the surprising things that web pages do these days is open a document right across the one I am reading.  It is surprisingly bad manners. When I am attracted to an article, don't come along and place something different right on what I am reading.  Doing that puts me in a bad mood quickly.  When I discovered Firefox's add-on "Reader View", I was tickled and I still am.  The Reader View takes the main document and strips out the live-action soccer game that has begun playing in the lower corner and all the other added items.  I still can't believe that somebody pays for an advertisement that is so impolite and irritating.  Does the money payor think I am going to be kindly disposed to an impolite intrusion?


One day as I was using Firefox, I went to open a new tab but I found that a series of articles was now housed right on the new tab page.  I have since learned that there was a feature called "Read It Later" and that Firefox bought the feature and housed it on the New Tabs page. I am not clear about who chooses what appears as offerings to me.  I imagine some algorithm or artificial intelligence tends to track which articles I choose to save to My List of saved articles.  As with book titles that seem promising, I have saved many more articles than I have gone back and read.


If you go to the trouble of looking for popular online publications, you will probably find enough of them to keep you reading all your awakened hours.  I have a habit of noting who wrote an article that I save to My List and looking that person up in Google search or Duckduckgo.  I imagine that young people trying to make a name for themselves often use some sort of wording that may excite or entice, like "World will end tomorrow!".  When I do take the time to read an article I have saved, it often does not tell me what I wanted to know.  I do often get motivated to look up words, questions, people or issues by the titles, the subjects or the unanswered questions I have.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby