Sunday, June 26, 2022

Two principles that surprise me

I have recently concluded that some leaders have a conviction that they must NEVER be wrong.  Somebody else can be wrong and others may have been mistaken about what the leader said or wrote.  Maybe they misunderstood what the leader was saying, misheard, maybe.  But wrong, as in "incorrect" - not ever, not at any time.


Reading "The Female Brain" by Louann Brizendine, MD and watching the movie "27 Dresses", I learned that some young women have an allegiance to the principle that there must not be ANYONE at all, anywhere, that dislikes them.  If it is discovered that anyone anywhere dislikes one of these young women, it is her fault.  Furthermore, she needs to make it right.  With the right smile, the right favors and efforts, she can change a disliker's opinion from dislike to LIKE.  She needs to work steadily at getting that person to LIKE her.


A teacher, a husband, a father, a member of a faculty spends quite a lot of time being wrong.  Further, old guys with faulty hearing can hear incorrectly, both by hearing someone, even a loved one, say what they did not say and by failing to hear what someone said.  That is just in the area of hearing.  There are many other ways such a person can be wrong, fully wrong, even dead wrong.  Most of the other ways have to do with (1) something that happened or (2) something that is happening or (3) something in the future that might happen. It looks very much like I will never qualify for the Never Wrong group.


My 9th grade English teacher informed our class that there would be people who don't like us.  She was quite right and I have become accustomed to people expressing dislike of my thinking, my appearance and other aspects of me.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby