Thursday, June 16, 2022

What the fork!!!

We were vacationing with our family.   I accidentally snapped a DVD in half that belonged to my greatgrandson.  He and I went to a nearby store and I bought him a replacement.  When we came home, I told his mother I had found a replacement and given it to her son.  She immediately said,"Son of a……….biscuit!" She had plans to do that herself.


I often wondered whether her use of the name of something to eat instead of the more usual term was original with her.  I called her the other day to ask.  She said that she and her husband watch the tv program "The GoodPlace", about a heavenly place where you simply cannot swear.  People there cannot physically manage to utter "bad" words.  She and my grandson-in-law have some laughs from the program and have practiced alternative utterances used in the program.


I guess the famous F word is still one of the most forbidden words among Americans.  John McWhorten and others have made it clear that language is always changing.  When I was 10 years old, I was threatened with having my mouth washed out with soap if I said bad words, which I rarely did.  Decades later, I saw a video of a standup comedian who used the F word quite often and each use drew waves of laughter.  I didn't think it was all that funny.  


About ten years ago, I told my daughter something surprising and she said, "Oh, my goodness".  I just looked up "expletives" and one result explicitly mentioned "oh, my goodness" and "oh, my gracious".  Spitting out strong words can relieve tension but can be off-putting to some hearers.  I applaud my granddaughter's use of What the Fork! instead of the more usual phrase, the same one overused by gangsters in this except from a Donald Westlake novel.

https://sites.google.com/view/kirbyvariety1/overuse-of-illogical-expletive

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby