Thursday, June 9, 2022

Abilities and potential are not always obvious

As my greatgrandchildren mature, I wonder about their future.  I have a suspicion that between high energy and high levels of ambition, advanced schooling is not appealing. Many colleges and high schools have counselors that know about occupations that might be of interest and how to get into them.  My experience is that students don't often make use of those counselors.  Many years ago, I discovered that a class of mine, nearly 100% elementary teaching candidates, felt that they had to land jobs as elementary teachers or they could not have a job.  I knew their curriculum was carefully planned and fought over so that they would graduate with a broad education, in addition to the specific training they would have for teaching.  


I see Garrison Keillor is re-posting some Writer's Almanac pages written in years back.  I understand the possibility myself.  I have more than 4500 blog posts and most are about thoughts or experiences I have had.  Here is a post from 2015 that relates to what I was writing about in my first paragraph above:

https://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/2015/10/want-job.html


In summary, if you or someone you care about wants a job or a chance to do something, think about ways that can be achieved.  There are many possibilities these days and there are others who know about them.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby