Monday, June 13, 2022

"How Not to Hate Your Husband"

I haven't been a lady but I think it is more ladylike in most people's opinion not to hate.  I think guys are usually permitted to strongly dislike and offer to fight.  There was a time when I could be slapped in the face with a glove and challenged to meet the slapper at dawn with my sword or pistol.  According to the movies I have seen, I would suffer a severe drop in popularity if I declined and told the slapper to slap somebody else.  


A hospital employee told me recently that in an effort to stay happy in marriage, she had read "How Not to Hate Your Husband After Kids" by Jancee Dunn.  I have a strong habit of looking up books that friends and others mention, especially if a particular book is said to be good and helpful.  When I look up a book, I look for the Kindle edition if there is one.  I love the quick download thru the atmosphere without computers, smartphone or other connection.  It is like a cellphone call but delivers a book instead of a voice.  This book was a bit above my price range but I saw a book, free for Kindle Prime subscribers called "How Not to Be an A-hole Husband and Lose Your Wife".  I got it and read half of it.  


I often find used books in paper at a much reduced price.  I ordered the Jancee Dunn book and I am reading it.  


I have been married to the same woman for more than sixty years.  She is smart, very smart and all the other things a wife should be.  I am lucky and I know it.  Later, on a walk, I asked her how useless I had been when we first had kids.  She laughed heartily and then asked if I remembered the time she asked me to estimate how many hours I had free each week.  


She was home with the kids while I bravely drove around the city to another section and taught an entire class of 5th grade elementary kids every working day.  I had papers to mark and lessons to plan.  I considered and estimated and found I had about 54 hours a week free.  She did the same and found about 8 hours free. 


We are in our 80's now and have greatgrandchildren (a word I like spell that way).  I think we are rather happy with each other and glad we are together.  I could rattle off various defensive statements but in general, it seems nature is rather tough on mothers, despite their endurance, approachability and intelligence. 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby