Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Snapping off

One of the downsides of being different, atypical, is that when machines and mechanical routines are built, they may be constructed to perform in a way that assists the typical user but not so much me.  When I write that I am not typical, I am not referring to some order or ranking.  I just mean that I have preferences that are not widely shared.


For instance, many computer programs are built to resume what I was doing with them the last time I used them.  I know how to look at the history of my browser to see where I was, if I want to.  But, most of the time, I am purposely starting anew.  I often can't remember what I did yesterday and when I can, I have a new direction, a new purpose, a new interest and I don't want to be re-immersed in what I was doing.  


There was a wrestler whose technique interested me in high school and college. I was surprised to hear that if he was able to take his opponent to the mat but didn't feel he was close to pinning him and immediately winning the match, he would often step away from his opponent, releasing him to be free to start all over.  I like the idea of a full re-boot, a fresh start.  Depending on the activity, that may not be possible and it may not be a good idea.  But when possible, I like to make a decision, when I am ready, to end.  


Several computers I use ask if I am sure that I want to exit but I have learned that if I hold the off button down, the question panel goes away and the machine fully shuts down.  I see all sorts of parallels between turning off the engine, shutting down the operation, turning off the power and the death of humans.  True, when we pronounce a human "dead", we don't have the option of turning that person back on.  So, in a way, the artificial "death" from using the Off switch is not what we experienced in real death.  But, when you see the son or the next generation take over a business or an officer begin anew an investigation, when the 2nd or third volume or episode is available, the heroine has had a good night's sleep, she has re-loaded her revolver and she is into the new chapter.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby