Friday, June 17, 2022

Earworms

The term "earworm" is usually used to refer to a tune that keeps coming to mind, often to the point of annoyance.  I just looked up the word and found it is directly from a German word about the same thing.  People often say that sight is the most important sense and in many ways, it really is.  However, the value and importance of hearing is often over-looked.  My two fallback books on the human mind are "Incognito" by David Eagleman and "7 and a Half Lessons about the Brain" by Lisa Feldman Barrett.  Both books stress that the brain is bigger, more complex and involved in other taks that the conscious mind.


I have a few music recordings that I listen to repeatedly.  One is "Schubert: Songs for Male Chorus".  Franz Schubert only lived to be 31 years old but he wrote some terrific music. I am a third class musician, having only played the snare drum in high school for three years but some music turns me and my spirits on.  Eagleman and Barrett both emphasize the body and brain learn all sorts of things quietly and without formal instruction.  I reach of the spoons where they are kept without having consciously memorized their location.  Despite the fact that I can't read music and I don't play any instrument, I have learned quite a bit of Schubert.  I know the recording

On this disc, sung by the Robert Shaw Chamber Singers of "An die Nachtingall" quite well.  I can and do listen to it anytime I let my mind wander.  I read that Schubert felt he had an special knack for creating music and thought that his government should finance him to allow him to devote all his time to writing tunes.  I guess he was right.


https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-m&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=schubert%20nightingale&utm_source=pocket_mylist

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby