Sunday, September 26, 2021

Recent trip

We wanted a trip. We hadn't had one in a while.  Lynn is a good trip planner and she suggested the Mineral Point area.  That is part of Wisconsin's "Driftless" area, which is much more beautiful than the name sounds.  Quite a large section of the state was gouged and moved and washed by glaciers but not the southwestern part of the state.



It is near the Adamah ceramics and pottery classes that Lynn has attended many times.  I was impressed at how severely Covid, time and labor troubles seem to have limited the businesses open there.  We had dinner sandwiches in Tony's Tap, supplemented by convenience store peanuts and soft ice cream.  


The next day, we drove to Taliesin, architect Frank Lloyd Wright's estate.  We planned coffee and snacks but they weren't serving.  At Black Earth, Lynn visited the Shoe Box.  I found I hadn't brought a belt and looked at their belts but they were more expensive than I wanted.  I tried the nearby Bargain Box.  While looking at their belts, I knocked some nearby gloves off their hook.  Bending to pick them up, I gouged my forehead on a hook I didn't see.  Not much blood but irritating.  I am still decorated.


Our trip planner had made reservations for us at a Madison Quality Inn (aka Comfort Suites).  We stayed two nights, dined at Biaggi's Westside and at Bonefish Grill and spent a nice afternoon at the Madison arboretum.  I spent time in Barnes and Noble and found that Brian Christian, a good writer about computing and people, called "The Alignment Problem".  It refers to building human values into algorithms and computer programs.  


Lynn needs a certain amount of time in Nature and wanted to visit Horicon Marsh.  We did, we walked a bit and we visited the state nature center there.  We made our way home and are ready for the next event or adventure or snooze.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby