Saturday, September 18, 2021

Getting a fresh start

On the last day of December 2009, I posted in this blog about mishaps that helped.  Most of the time, when something goes awry, it is not fun or profitable.  But once in a while, it pays.  Writers and thinkers are watching the Covid business to see if there emerge wrinkles that are unexpected helps, revelations, inspirations and such.  


Some road knights, people who travel like to be able to work with a laptop but shut down quickly when their flight is called or something else abrupt happens.  Christians have often been advised to be "reborn" in new, clean versions to live better, more helpfully with more joy and gratitude.  There have been pieces of writing on the internet from time to time making fun of computer reboots and asking if auto makers should advise re-starting the engine, like re-starting a computer.  


I don't say I admire running away from problems.  Families and relationships and friendships often blossom only with longterm care and feeding.  In fact, I am advocating more phone calls and visits out of the blue to contact others I haven't heard from in a long time.  But in the case of possessions, it does seem to me that the born-again model can be useful. What if I lose all my beloved possessions?  Well, so what?  I once didn't have them and without them around, I would be free to start over.  


Whether it is notes from a good talk or photographs of that loveable puppy, it often pays to ask my wife's question: have you used it in the last two years?  It often happens that my current stance on the subject of that good talk has changed and I want to make a different presentation, based on new insights and revised opinions.  When I think about it, I haven't looked at the photo for years and I forgot I had it.  


A clean break, a fresh start can be strongly uplifting and freeing.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby