Friday, September 10, 2021

Did you see that?

I am getting pretty old and people my age often have body troubles.  Hips, knees, balance and locomotion problems.  Hearing problems, vision problems. The ophthalmologists have a machine that gives vision field tests.  One of the ways vision problems come up is a shrinking of the vision field.  A person can do better in the world if they can see a broad area and not just a tiny spot.  The vision field test machine also detects if spots here and there in my vision see nothing.


To take the test, I have to keep looking at a central spot and press a clicker each time a flash goes off somewhere in my visual field.  The flashes jump all over, down there, over there, up here.  The doctor said I need to come over and take a visual field test.  But, when I got there, they said the machine was not working.  They would get it repaired (eventually) and call me when to try again.  I got a call and came over.  The doctor apologized but said the machine had gone down again in the last few hours.  I should wait until I get a phone call that they have it repaired.  The machine costs $60,000 to $70,000 so I can see it is expensive.  


I did get a call again and I tried to make an appointment but the secretary isn't clear just what sort of appointment I need - just the test by machine or also a conference with the doctor.  I intend to keep working on getting the test and having it professionally evaluated.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby