Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Four important women

With Afghanistan in the news and steady work on rights and such, there is plenty of chance to think about women.  My daughter mentioned the subject, I think, in connection with the Taliban and its attitude toward women.  As far as I know, every human of either sex came into the world from a woman's body.  I know, I know: the process of becoming a human being often starts with a gleam in a man's eye. Since we males are simple creatures, I realize that some of the time, that gleam begins with a woman's purchase of a new dress, or taking a walk past a certain desk.  


I got into teaching more or less by accident.  The cost was low enough for me to attend college.  Once I heard what the cost was, I didn't give my occupational plans much of a 2nd thought.  At the time, graduates of my teacher's college were assured of a paying job so things seemed wrapped up.  During my freshman year, I had to visit a classroom while the teacher and students were engaged in actual, on-going education.  The college arranged the visit and I visited a 3rd grade class.  The students were polite and engaged but the teacher made it clear to me that male teachers were not appropriate at that level.  I figured high school or middle school was for me until I was handed a list of all the courses I would be required to take.  I was surprised and said that I thought I would get some choices that I could make.  The leader of the session said,"Oh, you want choices?  Switch to elementary teaching."  I did switch.  I wound up teaching the 5th grade for 4 years. In four years time, I learned that my state required me to get a master's degree.  On the way to that credential, I got a PhD.


As I think about my life, I realize that my mother, my sister, my wife and my daughter have punctuated my life and embellished it.  They have loved me and decorated my existence.  I recommend that the Taliban think carefully about who is essential and who is peripheral, even if their conclusion is scary.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby