Thursday, September 30, 2021

New device

A new iPad came today.  My old one is a "Mini" but the current Mini is rather expensive, especially compared to the old one.  It seems that for a while, additional bells and whistles, features and "conveniences" are just a bother, a cost and a poor fit for me.  As usual, Apple, like other companies, tried to make the change to a new device quick and easy.  But, as my businessman brother-in-law told me years ago, I don't fit the demographic.  I am used to fiinding that sizes, costumes, preferences, interests of mine are not much like that of others my sex, my age, my history.  So, when Apple says you can easily do such-and-such, I find I don't want to.  


I enjoy snapping off my computer and starting later with a clean slate.  I don't actually use a slate but it can be fun and eye-opening to consider each of my old apps, asking if I actually use it. I appreciate the large keyboard of the standard-sized model. I don't use my digital camera since I get fine pictures with an iPad and I can quickly share them by Gmail. I tried taking a picture of Lynn with the new device, realized I could switch to making a video while forgetting that a video of even 26 seconds makes a big package, big enough that it wouldn't email.  


Some friends have been discussing limitations set by Apple.  I enjoy using quite a few Google services and I mix my use of Apple, Amazon, and Microsoft in ways that seem ok to me.  I am used to Amazon and its ebooks sending me too many emails about books I am not interested in and various red dots and "notifications" [a.k.a. interruptions of low value] from all the companies I work with telling me about features and services and bargains I don't want.


One of my greatgranddaughters is interested in art and drawing.  That interest got me to buy an Apple pencil to try handwriting and sketching on the new device.  If I write in cursive, the iPad quickly converts the writing to a print font.  I don't know how to use the pencil for drawing but eventually I will get to that.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby