Thursday, September 16, 2021

Chromebooks for 'sploring

I like to keep a computer handy while I watch TV.  I didn't want to spend much for one.  I bought an Acer Chromebook about 3 years ago.  Chromebooks are related to Google.  You may remember the days in the early 1990's when email and personal computers just started to show the power and convenience of the internet.  My favorite programs for exploring the internet these days are the Firefox browser and the Google search page.  Before they were available, I used Lycos and the Netscape browser.  


I keep a Chromebook in the living room where I watch TV.  I can quickly look up a screenwriter or an actor and also find answers to other questions that come to mind.  I didn't realize that the Chromebook I bought had a date after which it would receive no further updates.  A few days ago, I got a message that my Chromebook was getting its last update and there would not be any further ones.  I respect the notion that hardware, software and situations, as well as methods and goals, definitely change over time.  I wondered if I might be able to get some future updates, maybe for security, if I pleaded and pleaded.  I figure that is a waste of time and typing.


I ordered a new Chromebook but when it came and I tried using it, I immediately got a message that the machine had passed its expiration date and would get no further updates!  I returned it. I am keeping my first out-of-date Chromebook since I am interested in both what it can do for me and for how long and also in modifications that I might make to it.  I just learned today about the Gallium operating system specifically made to run on expired Chromebooks.  I didn't realize until just now that gallium is an element, a fundamental chemical in our world and is a metal that will melt just from body heat.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby