Monday, August 17, 2020

Thoughts and spoken words

Just consider the next thought that pops into your mind. Where did it come from? Did you freely choose to think it, and only then did you think it? Certainly not. The process of self-exploration begins with simple things, and becomes progressively harder. At first, we realize that we do not control the world outside us. I don't decide when it rains. Then we realize that we do not control what's happening inside our own body. I don't control my blood pressure.


Harari, Yuval Noah. 21 Lessons for the 21st Century (p. 286). Random House Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.


Freely choose to think a thought and then think it?  Not how it works.


Eckhart Tolle uses watching for the next thought, too.  But I often find that the next thought is impeded by my watching for it.  Impeding my next thought is a bit of fun, sometimes.  Just to see what happens.


This page on my Kirbyvariety site lists some good books I have read about brain functioning outside of the conscious mind.

https://sites.google.com/site/kirbyvariety/books-about-the-unconscious


There are various ideas and approaches to learning about the unconscious.  The production of thoughts is clearly an important process in our lives.  The production of spoken words also involves many quick and unconscious processes.  It feels as though I think of what I want say and I say the words but I don't consciously experience the use of grammar, implication and physical framing of my lips, tongue and mouth to produce the words.  It all happens so fast.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby