Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Send a signal

I lived in summer camp several times.  I left the important girl in the city.  Some wrote, some didn't.  No email, no texts since there was no internet.  Recently, the young man in the comic Better or Worse went off to live on his uncle's farm and help out.  He, too, left behind a girl he cared about.  He wrote to her several times and got nothing back.  


He thought she cared for him but she never wrote.  Each day, sadness struck at mail time.  He really had thought they cared about each other.  Each time, she didn't write, more pain.  Finally, summer was over and he went home.  He went round to her house.  She was home and she was happy to see him.


Why had she left him in pain so many days?  She was ashamed of her writing!!!  She couldn't write like he was writing.  She was in pain too but she just suffered.  Suffering can get a person points in paradise but here's the thing: If you want to write but you just can't, SAY THAT!!  Find a way.  Have your friend right.  Call his cell.  Visit.  Ask a pigeon to deliver a flower.  Have your brother drive there and tell him you are suffering and longing for his return.  


I am advising based on experience.  She and I had the strongest sort of magnetism.  We had excellent times but a blank page paralyzed her.  I can still feel the sad.  These days, it is easy to send a picture.  Send a photo of the dog, the garden, fried eggs, Grandma, whatever.  Try saying "I am thinking of you."  Try saying "I wish you were here."  Try saying "When are you coming home?"  If you are embarrassed about your writing, say "I am embarrassed that I don't write better."  Put a piece of your hair in the envelope and mail it.  Send some sort of signal about your caring.

P.S.  Lynn is happy that girl didn't write and asked me to say so.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby