Saturday, August 1, 2020

Harari and meditation

I was quite surprised and pleased to find that the final chapter in Harari's "21 Lessons for the 21st Century" is about meditation and what it has done for the author. I didn't realize the book had that final chapter.  I don't think I have read any better explanation of what mediation, in Harari's sense, is or can do for a person.  He actually states that he could not have written his wonderful book, Sapiens, nor his other two, Homo Deus and the 21 Lessons without having his meditative practice.  


He was ushered into meditation in a workshop with S.N. Goenka.  There are many books on Amazon, in paper or Kindle ebooks, that can guide a person into meditative practice.  I have many blog posts dealing with meditation as a tool for living well and in harmony with one's self.  Anyone who is interested can use the search window in the top left corner of the main blog page for Fear, Fun and Filoz.  https://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/ There are also notes, references and explanations on many web pages of the Kirbyvariety website. https://sites.google.com/site/kirbyvariety/


I actually started this blog with the aim of advocating and explaining the sort of meditation that Harari discusses.  I did that because evidence was piling up all over that the practice helped many sorts of people with many sorts of needs and difficulties. I realized as I was retiring that more stress on meditation and more explanation of what it is, what it helps in life and how to do it would help people.  Over time, it became clear that many authors and tools and organizations were springing up and that I could let others carry the ball.


Dan Harris is the author of "10% Happier" and "Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics", both helpful and revealing books about how a modern American might get involved in a meditation practice and be glad to have done so.  Personally, I imagine that the books by Chade-Meng Tan, especially "Joy on Demand" might be the fastest, simplest tickets into meditation.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby