Saturday, August 22, 2020

Somebody did it

Maybe the best book I have read on male human life is "Fighting for Life" by Walter Ong.  He was an American Jesuit priest and an expert explorer of the impact of writing on humans. But this book is about the views and experiences of being a modern human male.  


It is well-known that mammals, growing their young inside female bodies, only need males for reproduction for a short time.  After that participation, what is there for males to do?  In high parlance, defend the families.  In lower language, it is to fight, to strive, to compete.  It can be done with firearms or edged weapons but in situations where they are frowned upon, sharp words, witty remarks and edged comments can be used.  


I suppose there is less competition to be outstanding in female groups of talkers.  I looked up Google:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=does+all+men+conversation+differ+from+all+women+conversation


I think it was Loren Eisley who explained in one of his books that male primates like men and gorillas may tend to get grumpy and surly as they age.  reWhen men are older, they may question the value of their lived life: was anything important achieved?  I haven't amassed big money, I don't own much property, I haven't written any best sellers.  I might worry about having accomplished too little.  Maybe I am a failure.  


If I even suspect I haven't amassed much that is admirable, I may look around to see who is to blame.  Without self-awareness and inner courage, I may never think to blame myself, if blame there is to be.  It's probably those who have "succeeded".  Maybe they rigged things so the odds were against me.  Those bastards!  Ah!  A chance to get riled and over a good cause, too.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby