Friday, August 14, 2020

Not emailing but posting here

I have been researching blogs and thinking about my own blog.  It appears on Google's Blogger/Blogspot titled "fear, fun and filoz".  I have started a blog on Wordpress titled similarly "fears and fun". I think I will post the same entry in both places.  The web address is (1) the blog name, (2) the blog service (either Blogspot or Wordpress), and (3) 'com' with the three parts separated by periods.  In a web address or "url" (universal resource locator) there is no distinction (yet) between upper and lower case letters.


Especially during the virus shutdown and quarantine plus a coming major election, there seems to be heavy use of email.  I write a blog about my experiences and thoughts.  The act of deciding what to write and the physical collection of notes and typing seems good for me, for myself.  It has definitely been helpful for me to have blog posts from more than 10 previous years, from almost every day of those years, to see what came to mind and what I was doing, what seemed to stand out.


With the basic speed of email, more people have mentioned bulging inboxes.  I usually get about 30 or 40 emails each day but many people get three or four times that.  Given the number of times during the past week, one or another of my five mailing groups has been blocked as spam, I am no longer emailing.  I realize that people who like my blog have to think of looking at it when I don't email, but the maintenance of distribution lists takes too much time and attention. I don't do a blog for money and I don't get income from doing it.  


I just read this morning that use of Bcc to avoid recipients copying someone else's mail address is a common feature used to trip a spam blocker.  I don't want to openly send people's email addresses.  Nor do I want to use MailChimp or some other service that might also send unwanted mail or sell the list to those who would.  I have been sending out 84 emails of each blog post in groups.  I just read this morning that MailChimp will allow free emailing of less than 2000 emails.  But I am not sure how much other exposure would come for those addresses.


There is a section of the main blog page that allows subscription by email.  That section was offered by Google to those using their blog service and some people have made use of it.  It is run by Feedburner.  A feed is a term used for software that sends out anything newly published.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby