Thursday, April 18, 2024

5th grade to start

I found I could definitely afford teachers' college.  After a couple of years, they asked, "Are you aiming to teach in K-6 or 7-9?"   I said "7-9".  After all, I was too mature for little kids.  They handed me a sheet of course names.  "This paper lists the courses you must complete".  Me:"I thought I would get some choices."  They said,"You want choices?  Choose K-6" and I did.


I taught the 5th grade for four years. I liked it. I got the class with the lowest average of 4 classes.  I liked teaching them and discovered all sorts of skills and abilities they showed.


I got a warning: "This state requires an advanced degree beyond the basic 4 year degree within ten years of beginning teaching."  I began graduate school, attending at night.  I got a grade of A in my first statistics course.  My graduate school advisor told me about a program to get a PhD, the highest degree, with scholarships provided.  I applied, got accepted, got the degree, and we moved to another state where I taught teachers for 37 years.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby