Saturday, April 6, 2024

Pens, etc.

It is no surprise that human memory has limitations.  Somebody in my book club recommended "Remember" by Lisa Genova.  I am reading that book aloud to Lynn now.  I like the way the author explains that being unable to remember something is part of what our memory is built to do.  When a husband and wife look through a photo album together, one of the pair often mentions memories of meals, comments, troubles and fun that the other person has not remembered.  


I taught a course over the years called Tests and Measurements.  It considers the job of structuring tests and grading of student performances on tests and projects.  I wrote a book "Grading, Testing and Instructional Format" for use by students in the class.  Sometimes, I would hold a copy in my hand and ask who had read a given chapter.  Hands would go up.  I would point to somebody with their hand in the air and ask "Did you read this chapter?"  The student would say they had.  I would say,"Ok, the first three words at the beginning are "Students have sympathized".  Then, I would ask: "What is the next word?"  They NEVER knew!


As Dr. Genova would say, "Of course they didn't remember.  They hadn't formed a memory of the next word."


Older people, like me, say, passed the age of 80, are famous for leaving behind a pen, a smartphone, a cup of tea or coffee in the living room while they walk into the computer room.  I know exercise is good for me and I tend to get up and walk back and look for my pen or phone or cup.  But, sometimes I preplan!  So, HA!  I practice leaving a pen in BOTH the living room and the computer room.  Now, I am working on NOT carrying the living room pen into the computer room.  Smart, huh?

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby