Tuesday, April 2, 2024

"Who inspires me?", they asked

My daughter and her husband bought me Storyworth for Christmas.   That company sends me a question each week.  I write an answer.  They send it to her and collect my answers.  Later, they will offer me copies of the answers in a little book.


This week, their question was "Who inspires you?"  It has prompted me to think about inspiration.  I feel I am inspired by someone when I want to be like them, when I want to develop a skill they have or they make me think of having.  It can be tricky.  A serial killer or an arsonist can inspire me to avoid hurting or killing people or burning their property.  Some female faces make me immediately think of kissing them but I don't think that I am being inspired.  I'd rather use the word "attracted" or maybe "drawn".  


I looked up "inspire" and found that it is related to "breathing in".  When a person inspires me, I am breathing in something.  That something can be an intangible.  When I see a baby that seems jubilant about being alive and I realize I too am alive, I can feel jubilation from the baby's presence and my interpretation of what I see.


I don't have any doubt that much of my inspiration has come from reading authors.  Some has come from colleagues and friends.  I ended my list of inspiring people with these links to books that have been important inspirations:

https://sites.google.com/view/kirbyvariety1/reading-list-1983

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby