Friday, January 12, 2024

I did???

Lynn found that she was spending too much time on video games and internet puzzles.  She started going to the public library more often.  The other day, she came home with The Rosie Result by Graeme Simsion.  A book that she likes often gets to be one that I read to her aloud in the evenings but it has happened that the print is too smart for me to read comfortably and naturally.  Small print causes me to make mistakes in word recognition and correcting myself too much. The Rosie Result in the 3rd book in a trilogy featuring a socially hampered physics professor who dates and marries a barmaid who is beautiful and fun but flighty.  I made a note to check if the book was available as a Kindle ebook.  We have already found that sometimes an ebook is not available.


I was quite surprised when I found the helpful sentence on my iPad "You own this item."  I do?  Yes, it is already in my collection of 3373 ebooks.  I bought it 11 years ago.  Really??  I found it in my collection and opened it.  Sometimes highlights I made while reading a book help in recalling it.  But I had made none.  The Kindle also shows "Popular highlights", passages often marked by other readers.


Lynn was a professor of library science and a librarian in an elementary school and in a high school.  I asked her how many books she had in each library.  "Several thousand". So I figure I have purchased a public school's worth of books.  No wonder I can't remember each one.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby