Thursday, January 11, 2024

A common method

When I was growing up, I often heard that it was good citizenship to stay aware of what was going on in the world. During those days, we didn't have Fox News.  We didn't have "social media". Now, we do.  As you know, I am no historian but I want to present an idea of a theme that is permeating thinking in many parts of the globe.  


The theme is "Let's try".  I guess it has been a part of American nature since Europeans and others came here.  I am referring to the period since 1492.  If you were born in South America or Asia, didn't learn English but got the itch to settle in the emerging United States, it would need to be a strong conviction and bravery to come to Ellis Island and become a US resident.


I have noticed what is to me a very strong parallel between dialogue among scientists or inventors or just about any small group of adults with a common interest.  The members of a small group make statements of their observations and ideas.  A good percentage of the statements are not received with enthusiasm or what we tend to call "support".  But some statements strike hearers as good ideas, maybe answers or potential answers to puzzles that members of the group want solved.


So, it seems odd but accurate to me that workers hoeing out in a field, members of a League of Women Voters chapter, people trying to do God's will and scientists looking for other habitable planets follow a similar process to reach their goals.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby