Saturday, January 6, 2024

Non-similarities

I have been noticing lack of similarity where I might expect some. Take our English interrogative words: what, when, where, why and how.  If I say "what" repeatedly you might think I am having trouble hearing you.  If I say "when" repeatedly, you might say "all of my ideas apply to now" or replace "now" with "tomorrow" or "on your birthday".  But if I say "why" repeatedly, you might think I am three years old and curious about the world or your thinking.  It seems to me that continuous "why" creates chains of inquiry in a way that the other questioning words do not.


I looked up in Google search "What is the typical age for children to fasten onto 'why' and ask why repeatedly?"  The answers were 2 or 3. I have heard of "why" repeatedly but not of "when" or other interrogative words.


In another case, I have experienced getting rejected over suggesting a movie or a book.  The other person says "I 've seen that" or "I've read that". Those responses imply the movie or book is finished, has been consumed in the way my empty beer mug means I have consumed the beer I had.  It is over and done.  But when I sing "Stand up! Stand up for Jesus!", you don't normally say you have already heard that. Repetition in music is ok in a way that it isn't in movies or books.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby