Thursday, September 5, 2019

Good advice?

My friends plan to discuss The Last Lecture by Prof. Randy Pausch.  It was the first Kindle book I bought, back in 2008.  My Kindle files say that I read the book. Pausch was a professor of physics and he had been given a diagnosis of fatal liver cancer.  He planned to give a summative lecture and he did.


I am more or less against final words.  I think they tend to try to sum up what cannot be summed.  Seems like a natural human tendency. If you have lived a long time, why not tell us what you learned, preferably things that we can use to our benefit: you know, wisdom and all.  The usual idea is that older people have more experience by definition and often convert that experience into better decisions. From The Daily Mail

Does wisdom increase with age?

Wisdom really does come with age: Older people's knowledge and experience means they make better decisions. Wisdom really does come with age, scientists say. Although older people's brains slow down, experience and knowledge more than make up for it - helping them make better financial decisions, a study shows.Sep 25, 2013

Wisdom really does come with age: Older people's knowledge and ...


https://www.dailymail.co.uk › sciencetech › article-2432221 › Wisdom-reall…


When I looked at the file of highlights from the book, I only found two.  But as I looked through the book, I read that the relatively young father wanted to think of ways he might tell his children things he would have imparted, had he lived.  That seemed an interesting challenge. What might I say or write that might be of use later?


The individual situations and personalities of people, as well, of course, as their age, are highly influential as to what can be helpful advice or information.  Still, I have thought before that the single most valuable advice I have is "Meditate".  


So, I turned to the keyboard to see what came to mind. I support these ideas:

  1. Fear not - don't be terrorized by fears.  They are natural but don't be dominated by them, either.  Face them and deal with them.

  2. Meditate - sit still for 5 or 10 minutes and concentrate on a spot on the wall.  When your mind slips off the spot, put it back on until the timer rings.

  3. Americanize Buddhism, personalize it, and then use it - The Buddha had insights of the highest value.  He was not God and said so. He saw important facts about being a human. Know them and keep them handy.

  4. Exercise - don't overdo it, but stay strong and stay limber.  Modern life at a desk, behind the steering wheel, or on the couch means you have to purposely walk, bike, stretch, swim, jog, lift weights.

  5. As Warren Buffet advises, marry the right person - This is not easy but it is important.  The trickiest person in your marriage is you.  

  6. Be aware of Thoreau's stance: old have little of value to tell young. Just because I am old, doesn't mean I know better than you.  Take the advice of the Buddha and of St. Paul: test everything out and keep what is good. Note: what is good changes.

  7. Get on good terms with every part of yourself.  Meditation will give you a good start. Follow up with compassion and insight.  Be a good and loving friend to yourself.

  8. Read - widely.



Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby